Develop a career plan
A career plan helps you determine your skills and interests, what career best suits your talents, and what skills and training you need for your chosen career.
By developing a career plan, you can focus on what you want to do and how to get there. And when you are ready to develop your resume, you will have a better understanding of your skills and experiences to discuss with potential employers.
Get started now
- Decide your career goal, which can help you focus more clearly on possibilities available to you.
- A career goal can be a specific job you want to do -- such as doctor or teacher -- or be a particular field you want to work in, such as medicine or education.
- Rather than limiting your future, a career goal may help you discover career possibilities you wouldn't have thought of otherwise. There are several job possibilities with any chosen career. For instance, if you choose a medical career, you may want to be a scientist, a nurse, or a doctor.
- A career goal can also guide you into doing what you want with your life.
- Determine what you need to do to prepare for your chosen career. Do you need special training? If so, find out what schools offer the training you need. Also, determine what kind of experience will you need to be successful in the career. Consider an internship as a way to get work experience in the career field.
- Write your career plan. See our sample for inspiration.